Installing Your Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector
- Round faceplate, which holds your detector
- Flat backplate, which will be mounted to a surface
- Screws to secure the backplate
- 1 lithium battery
Test carbon monoxide detector
- Push and hold the test button for a minimum of 5 seconds.
- You’ll hear the detector alarm sound, and you’ll see its red LED lights blink.
Choose your location
Your CO detector can either be mounted:
- On the ceiling, at least 12 inches away from any wall
- On a wall, at least 6 inches from the ceiling but no lower than a light swit
Avoid placing your detector:
- Above a sink, cooker, stove, or oven
- With 5 feet of any cooking appliance
- Next to any door or window affected by drafts
- In or below a cupboard
- Next to furniture or curtains, which can obstruct air flow
- Any place where dirt or dust can block the sensor
- Any place where it can be knocked down, damaged, or accidentally removed
1. Once you’ve chosen a location, place your backplate against the surface.
2. Secure the backplate against the surface, carefully filling in the two screw holes with the provided screws.
3. Take the detector and slowly twist it clockwise onto the back plate, until it clicks into place.